- About NAGW
- National Conference
- Pinnacle Awards
Call For Speakers
NAGW 2014 National Conference Call for Speakers
Interested in speaking at NAGW 2014?
September 9-12, St Paul, MN
NAGW is seeking presenters who are willing to share knowledge and ideas and present on new technologies and trends.
The deadline for submitting proposals is Tuesday, March 11, 2014.
The focus of the NAGW National Conference is to bring together local government webmasters who share similar goals and issues. The conference is open to any web professional looking to enhance their skills.
How long are presentations?
- Pre-conference (hands-on) workshops, held on September 9, will be four (4) hours long with both morning and afternoon slots available.
- Regular conference and Friday Focus sessions are 75 minutes which includes a 15-minute question-and-answer period.
What topics are you looking for in 2014?
Based on attendee evaluations and other industry data, we have decided to focus on a few core topics. While your proposed session can fall outside these core topics for 2014, priority will be given to those that fall within the following topic areas:
- Creating compelling content
- Content migration
- Social media
- Multi-channel content repurposing
- Document and form management
- Video and photo content
- Plain language
Modernizing the web
- Sass, Compass and responsive grid systems
- Git, version control and deployment, command line
- HTML5, CSS3
- Key programming concepts, such as OOP and MVC
- Usability and user interface design
- Information architecture
- Open data
- Getting involved with open source
- Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress
Tools and technology
- Website security
- Maps and GIS
- Upgrading to the newest version of Sharepoint
- Personal development: Our changing roles as web professionals in government
- Working with cross-functional teams
- Care and feeding of content contributors and editors
- Project management
This year’s Friday Focus will be content strategy. Friday’s schedule is a single track of sessions, so we are particularly interesting in compelling presentations on various aspects of content strategy that will appeal to the wide variety of attendees at our conference.
What do you get in return?
The majority of our speakers register to attend our conference, and we provide a discount on the registration cost as compensation for speaking.
- Selected regular session and Friday Focus speakers will receive up to a 50% discount on general conference registration fees.*
- Selected pre-conference workshop speakers will receive up to a 100% discount on general conference registration fees.*
- All speakers will receive a NAGW speaker shirt.
Join government web professionals from around the nation and participate in the only national conference for government web professionals by government web professionals.
Not sure if you should submit a proposal?
You should! Each of us has learned something useful in our adventures, and if we all share our own personal nugget of knowledge, we all can grow and improve together.
There are a lot of great resources out there on how to prepare a proposal. Here are two to check out:
Code of Conduct
NAGW asks speakers to agree to a Conference Code of Conduct that explains acceptable and unacceptable behavior at our conference, including and especially when presenting.
The short version is don’t be a jerk. We want everyone at our conference to feel welcome and comfortable. As a speaker, you play an important role in helping to create that safe environment for everybody. We appreciate your assistance!
*Speaker discounts cannot be combined. If you are selected for both a regular session and a pre-conference workshop, a discount of up to 100% off general conference registration will be applied. Discounts are given at the sole discretion of the NAGW Board of Directors and may be revoked at any time.
Please also note that for panel sessions, the discount will be divided between the speakers. For a regular session panel with two speakers, each speaker would receive a 25% discount, for example.